Thursday, November 09, 2006

While I'm being mocked for my supposed militant feminism...

I present for you this article, which is long but very worth it, about the "War Against Boys". There has been a recent statistical trend toward lower achievement in school for boys, and it is widely seen as a reaction to all the energy that has been pumped into programs to help girls do well. The logic here goes that if we're helping girls, then we must be ignoring the boys, and that is why the boys aren't doing well. Another view that I can hardly even parse says that school is inherently feminizing to men, and school and teachers are trying to turn boys into "pussys" instead of "real men". This is ridiculous for any number of reasons, well described in the article.
As I risk turning this into "an angry feminist rant", I'd just like to point out that I'm not particularly extreme on any of this, nor am I a "feminazi", though I have been called that rather seriously at least once. (Not even counting the several times a day Steve tells me I'm an angry feminist.) I do have a sensitive spot for discrimination on the subject, however, and with this (as with everything else) I rarely hesitate to make my feelings known.

No comments: