Thursday, February 23, 2006

Kant get working. blah

Kant has a very obscure style. It seems to me that his thoughts are great, but that he could have found a more elucidating style to set them down in. We’re spending philosophy going though basically one sentence at a time, or one paragraph at a time, because it is pretty hard to untangle some of these sentences. I’ve never felt that diagramming sentences in English would have helped me, but now I am considering it. These sentences are ridiculous.
But at least we are going through it in an understandable way. This is progress.
And last night and this morning, I spent some time with Milton. Basically, I read Book 9. I feel terrible about not having read more. The verse is tough at first, but once you get used to it, you can make decent progress in it.
Professor Kronman gets so excited about the philosophy some times. In the middle of class today, he just started shouting about Kant—he got really loud and excited, and he hadn’t actually gotten to the body of the text yet. We were on the second page of the preface. It is a good way to get our attention.
Many hours later: still nothing done on the paper. But I am excited about the things to come. Like Lysistrata in an hour, the hockey games this weekend, KBB happy hour, bridge tournament, Trumball, etc etc. It's going to be good. Now, if only this paper would go away...

No comments: