Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Oh, Eli!

Eli Yale, that is.
Yesterday, I started to talk about Yale like i actually wanted to go there! This surprising development is very pleasing to me. I know that I will like it once I go and start meeting people, but I have all these insecuririties about my decision. So when I started mater-of-factly talking about all the things that I will do in the fall at Yale, my tone surprised me. I think I am going to apply to Directed Studies, which seems a little better than the freshman seminar program I could apply for.
I wonder if this is possibly a symptom of my impending graduation. I didn't feel like I was emotionally very affected by it, but I am seeing more and more that what I think has absolutely nothing to do with how I feel. Sucks to be me. I had a very hard time saying goodbye to certain teachers yesterday. Some were easy, but surprisingly, some were very hard. The worst, perhaps, was Mr. McRaith. Though we disagreed enough in terms of literature, we were in exacltly the same place about education and on the disasterous path Northside is on right now. As he said, we are confusing real learning with hoop-jumping, and this only gets worse with the swelling of the AP culture that has taken hold of the place. So, while I can support his decision not to teach AP next year, I find it sad, because it will probably only mean that someone else with more hoop-jumping will take over. I really felt that there weren't too many hoops-- just the CRJ and then only in the end of the year. It was a very needed tool in the early going, because it absolutely set the tone for intense noticing.
Ok, I'm changing the subject. This is real day-killer.
" Kerry's Yale Grades Similar to Bush's
By Associated Press
Published June 7, 2005, 4:09 AM CDT
BOSTON -- Sen. John F. Kerry's grade average at Yale University was virtually identical to President Bush's record there, despite repeated portrayals of Kerry as the more intellectual candidate during the 2004 presidential campaign.
Kerry had a cumulative average of 76 and got four Ds his freshman year -- in geology, two history courses and political science, The Boston Globe reported Tuesday. "
Frankly this just sucks all around.
Did you read this? Leave me a comment. Just for the hell of it. Please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, I read it, and indeed, that's depressing. On the plus side, I think "mater-of-fact" is a pretty great unintentional pun.

Katie said...

How do you know it was unintentional?