Thursday, March 30, 2006

Carry-on baggage only

So, last night, it was essentially decided that it would be a bad idea to do anything in regards to a certain male until he approaches me again. Internally, it was decided, that I should basically clear out my mental space and assume that he had actually given me an answer. And it wasn't yes. I feel like this is, unfortunately, the most logical course of action at this point. If something does happen to change his mind, or rather, make it up, then it is his job to communicate that to me in some way. And if nothing like that happens, then I guess I just have to assume that any answer that isn't yes is no. It just makes more sense to assume that, and then if something happens, it will be a pleasant surprise.
The other point that was made to me is that if he isn't ready for this, enough to give an answer, and if he is citing old relationships as evidence for this, then he clearly has some kind of baggage. Which I have no need and no desire to deal with. I have my own problems, and so someone else's emotional baggage, if it is enough to prevent this from taking off, then it is too much. Carry on baggage only, please.
So, I was working on this plan last night, and a little more today. I never got to finish writing my thoughts down last night, so I am finishing them now, so I can move on emotionally and move on to writing my history and politics paper. (Woo, Burke, Tocqueville, time-horizons and religion. Hott!)
So the three possibilities for the future here, rather in order of their probibility...
1) He doesn't say anything, he doesn't clarify in any signigicant manner. Nothing ever happens, but it is frustrating and painful and long. It is essentially a no, more by lack of action than actual decision. Could result from a number of different sources, including fear of a committment, lack of interest, baggage, etc.
2) He does answer, but it is a no. Then, at least, things are on the table. I'll be fine with that, and we can proceed all the faster to being friends without awkwardness.
3) He does answer, and it is a yes. If it is within a certain time horizon (ya, H&P!) then we see what happens. Hopefully it all works out for the best, and if not, at least we gave it a shot. You never really know with these things.
Erin and Carly (frocos) both told me that I had essentially the perfect outlook on this whole dating thing, and that from the descriptions, I am about 10 years more mature than he is. That might be kind of a lot, but still... We have some differences, and I can see that being one of them. Oh well.
Which leaves me with a question: what should I do this weekend? I think Amy and maybe Chris have secured themselves dates to the Fool's Ball. I do not have one, and if I didn't have one, I don't really know how interested I'll be in going. I don't know that I really want to stay in this weekend either, though. We shall see, we shall see. Maybe we'll go see Syriana or something.
Ok, first things first. I have a paper to write!

No comments: